Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Week 34

On the whole, I like working for Intel.  One of the things I enjoy is the extracurricular activities they encourage you to do.  They hosted a 5k and a 10k for Intel employees and their families.  There are some serious runners at Intel, both men and women that place very high in local running events.  I decided to do the 5k as it was a distance I've been running on a regular basis (weekly) all year.  I wanted to do better than better than 22:45 mins, which is about 7:20 per mile.

One of the top finance controllers at Intel is an avid runner and older brother of my boss.  I knew he'd be well under 7:00 per mile pace so when I started the race I looked for him and wanted to see how long I could stay with him.  I could only keep pace with him for about half of a mile.  My first mile pace was 6:45 and then I slowed down over the next 2 miles.  I finished strong with a sprint, passing 4 or 5 runners (hard to remember as I was so swift) in the last 40 yards (one in the last 5 yards).  My time was 22:35 with an average pace of about 7:16 per mile.  I finished 48th overall in a field of about 1,600--in the top 3%.  I met my pre-race goal so I should be happy with it, but I'm not.  I know I can do better than 7:00 per mile.  Next year, I want to be in the top 25.  Since I've been stuck at 240 pounds, I'm going to get two birds with one stone by getting back to using the treadmill at work.  I can do a quick 2 miles in 2-3 times per week and practice a 7:00 per mile pace.

Week 34 - My first 5k

Basketball Events: 1
Strength Training: 0
Softball Games: 0
Running Events: 2

Best Time:
  • Course:  2012 Intel - Great Place to Run
  • Distance: 3.10686 miles
  • Time: 22:35
  • Minutes per mile: 7:16
Weight: 240 - *No weight lost*

No comments:

Post a Comment